Nick Clark Interview...Leadville Updates... and the taper

Nick Clark dropping into Ouray at Hardrock 100 last month.
First, the interesting stuff:
Inside Trail (www.insidetrail.com) has posted a great interview with Nick Clark coming off a busy month of podium finishes at Western States 100 and Hardrock 100 and is now donning battle gear for tomorrow's Sierre-Zinal mountain race and, ultimately, UTMB in two weeks.  Read what he feels his secret is to dominating ultra trail races.


Inside Trail on Twitter
Next:
Inside Trail will be tweeting (twittering...?) updates at the Leadville 100 run next week.  Correspondent, Happy Trails (who is crewing me for the entire 100) will be providing updates on the race leaders, times, splits between, how awful they look, and who's making the race exciting.  Good idea to follow Inside Trail on Twitter now, so you don't miss the action.  Oh, and they'll occasionally update my suffering progress throughout the day as well...


Finally, the boring stuff:
After a rock solid four months of training (three 100 mile races, two 50 mile races, many 4-7 hour runs...) I've been basking in the taper stage this week with a steady dose of the exact same run, same route, same 7 miles, in the same time, every day.  This nice little routine seems to work best to keep me fired up about running, maintain confidence that I'm fit, and allows the body to repair anything in, well, disrepair.  Speaking of feeling good, McDavid is sending me completely redesigned compression gear for the race, including new calf sleeves.  It's like Christmas.  Yes, my life is that exciting. 

No sandbagging here.  I feel great.  I'm at 148 lbs (about 5 lbs lighter than earlier in the season).  I know the Leadville course.  I have a great crew for support and a pacer I (strangely) really enjoy running with.  So, I'm looking to run well.

Comments

  1. Man! I want to go to Europe next year. Good luck next week maybe I will see you Friday. Don't let this Lakewood boy pass you on powerline inbound either... :)

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donnie,
    Yeah, aside from the cost, the Euro racing looks amazing.

    Last year only one person passed Tim W. and me in the last 50 miles (Jeff Bueshe at mile 98ish) and we passed 10. I don't intend on being passed and my pacer will deal with any threats from behind accordingly.

    See you in the highest town in America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slave Driver!!! :-0

    Since you are going to be one of the front runners, our depth of coverage content is going to be somewhat slim for the masses ;-)

    We are diligently searching for suitable royal thrones for you and JT to use at the pitstops!!!

    So what - JT is going Jeff Gillooly on some folks coming up behind??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic Tim, you certainly have had a great training block and looks like you have a smart taper as well. I like your goal as being aggressive but definitely within your reach. Best of luck and see you out there (from a few hours back)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steve. You haven't seen slave driving until you see me at mile 75. "DAMN IT! I SAID CHOCOLATE GU, NOT ESPRESSO!"

    I'll be far behind the front runners and only hope to be within enough time to give you a chance to make to to the next aid after helping me so you can tweet the race up front.

    You read my mind on the chair.

    I'm not admitting publicly what JT may resort to. I'm just glad he's on our team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mike. Anything can happen in a 100 but if I manage the highs and lows well, I feel good about my race. Honestly, anything around 20 hours would make me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually Tim, the throne idea was all Kathleen! Along with some other ideas... You said it was all about the fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a pretty solid time goal! If you run 19:20, you will not be too far behind the leaders...I doubt anyone goes under 17 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad your pacer will be so filled with fear as I destroy his personal best on this course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Tim!! Tons of good energy and best wishes will be coming your way from Kansas City!--Wende (Tim's sis)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts