La Sportiva C-Lite (Crosslite) 2.0 - 250 Mile Update

In what is becoming one of my all-time favorite running shoes, the La Sportiva C-lite 2.0 (formerly the "Crosslite 2.0") just about has it all: great fit, comfort, cushion, traction, relative lightness, and a simplicity that even my old Montrail Highlanders would be proud of, all wrapped up in a stylish design that says, "I'm serious.  Accept it."

I've now run them some 250 miles over every surface, including a half marathon with pavement, two 50ks with substantial climbs and descents, and general trail running.  Friends are likely tired of my constant praise of the 2.0.  This is my go-to shoe currently and unless the Vertical K shines brighter, I'll be wearing the C-Lite for all my trail racing.
Sporting the C-Lite 2.0s for the first time at the New Year's Half Marathon
The slip-last construction feels sock-like with no bulkiness or extra fabric to bunch up.  I've worn them with transparent thin socks and thicker wool socks; both of which left my feet unscathed and no worse for wear in these shoes.  I'm certain I could wear them barefoot with comfort if I wanted.  The fit is a little wider than other La Sportiva trail runners and I have to cinch down the lacing (hidden under the debris cover) to get them secure around my girly skinny foot (note: the Quantums and Electrons are much more narrow).  The only (small) problem I've found with the upper, and overall shoe, is a tear developed quickly just where my foot bends at toe-off.  It seems to only affect the outer layer and the inner material is still intact.  It has absolutely no effect on the use of the shoe.
Slight tear on the side of the shoes on the big toe side - both shoes.
Moving on to the business end of the C-Lite 2.0, the sole is constructed of a flexible injected-molding EVA midsole with grippy outer lugs that bite into every condition the trail may throw at you.  LS does something special that facilitates energy transfer during foot strike and toe-off.  My guess is it's a combination of the midsole molding and the 8 mm drop (26mm heel / 18mm forefoot).  Honestly, I don't like to over think the process or mechanics of it; I just enjoy the hours I'm able to put on the shoes with comfort and lasting efficiency.  At the end of a 50k I raced last weekend, my feet were in perfect shape, no hot spots, no soreness, and all toenails in pedicure-perfect shape.  Ok, maybe not that pretty but definitely intact and the correct color (i.e. no bruising).  After wearing the Hokas for much of last season and having my ankles look like they were in iron shackles with bruises and sores, the low collar on the LS shoes is a welcome change.

Overall, you can't go wrong with the C-Lite 2.0.  Even if the Vertical K turns out to be as amazing as I'm hoping, the 2.0 will continue to be my first choice in a trail running trainer.  Visit the La Sportiva site for more information on all the La Sportiva trail shoes.  

Comments

  1. Have you tried the Skylite Tim? Is it the same shoe with a slightly less aggressive lug pattern?

    The ankle Hoka thing is weird. I still have bruises from mine from last year. Otherwise they're great shoes...just need some work on the uppers (the new Stinson Evo looks like they may have improved this).

    The Vertical K looks like it means business. I look forward to your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darren.
    Yeah, the skylite is very similar, just lighter on the cushioning and lugs, as you pointed out. Knowing what you normally wear, I think you'd like the skylite a lot. I can't wait to wear the vertical k. Even if it's not what I hope for, I have the c-lite to fall back on. Love that shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - what is with the sideways angle pose? I mean it is a theme and all.

    Every pair of sportivas I have had (not climbing shoes though now that I think about it), get that rip at that same spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wear the CL2 long enough and that tear at the flex point of the forefoot will got all the way through to the second layer. Personally, I consider any shoe that has those tears in them after less than 100 miles to be poor design quality in the fabric selection. Obviously, it's not an isolated issue as this has been reported by many others on the net. My hypothesis is that thin layer of rubber that is adhered to the sides (removing this would take care of the problem IMHO) of the shoe behind the toe bumper is causing undue wear on the shoe fabric. I'm on my 3rd pair and they've all done this. Thankfully, I've only had to purchase one of those. And, LS was kind enough to send me a replacement pair after the first pair developed those tears. Other than that, they are the best trail shoe I've ever worn and the pair I currently use will be used until the nubs are worn off. But, I'm hesitant to use the CL2 in a 100m. I fall back to the Fireblades for those (but even those eventually get that same tear, but after 500+ miles).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts