Fun at the Running Clinic and Lay Down Some Base

"Ok, class, please turn to page 342 and we'll continue with the Fundamental Phase."

Photographer Margaret and me (I look stoned - and the shirt probably doesn't help the look)
Yesterday, Footfeathers Industries (O. M. GAWD) facilitated another sell-out running clinic.  Thanks to the Sports Basement's generosity and hospitality in providing the great accommodations for the Training for Ultra Distance Racing clinic (I thought about naming it the Training for Ultra Racing Distances but that would spell T.U.RD.).  The 90 minute clinic creeped up to nearly 3 HOURS with the Q and A and socializing afterwards.  We covered a lot of information, ate some good treats (thanks in part to Margaret and Claude for the fresh focaccia), and gave out a good amount of running gear.  Photos at the bottom of this post, thanks to Margaret Gagnon.

Next Sunday, January 13 is the popular Hill Running Clinic and will be the last one here in the Bay Area for a while, so don't miss it.  I've already reached my self imposed capacity of participants but will probably let a few more register if they're nice to me.

Leadman training:  Base work on the bike is done.  10 weeks of building my mt. biking base and ready to get in some real work.  I broke three PRs on various courses this week while holding back at relatively easy perceived efforts (that's my sign that I'm done with base work).  15,000 ft of climb on the bike this week.  A lot?  Not really.  But, for the Bay Area, it means that every ride is a "summit" ride with several trips to my go to summit of Mt. Tam and one to the top of Mt. Diablo, which tops out at 3,849 ft; dismissive at first glance, yet when you start at 120 ft, the climb holds its own with many in Colorado.  Numbers, numbers, numbers.  None of it really matters unless the results give it meaning.

Mt Diablo

Mt Tam

Now the fun begins.  In 17 days I'll be heading back to Colorado and living at 8,600 ft and easing into training at high altitude with real work ahead.  I've already dropped the few pounds I wanted to trim two months ago without really thinking about it.

The 12 hours of Temecula MTB race is in two weeks.  It'll be great to get down to some warmer weather and hang out with Tanford and Matt.  Hopefully, he won't get me too drunk the night before the race.

Riveted to every word. 

Making stuff up as I go along.

"Smash your face with a roofing hammer to simulate mile 80 of a 100 miler."

You'd have to be there to understand.

Trouble makers in the back row.

Christopher, Jessi, and Josslyn are like, "Who's the homeless guy with us?"

Hecklers.

Gratuitous laughter.

My buddies, James, Emily, Claude, and Margaret.

"There's the door if you want to escape this boredom."


Thanks for bringing that witchcraft crap, Ken.


Comments

  1. None of it really matters unless the results give it meaning.

    YES. (And also, Jessi makes me feel funny.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nutrition do you recommend for ultra heckling? Is is necessary to taper by not commenting on TV shows, the news, or Facebook?

    I'm sure your classes are entertaining as well as informative. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts