Week, Podcasts, Snow

Overall, last week's training was like, "ho hum".  Seven days of running with nothing much to write home about.  I guess the standout run was a 15 miler with 3,200+ ft of climb where I worked the ups and downs with purpose.  Otherwise the week was a fairly light and relaxed 60 miles, 12,000 ft climb, average elevation 9,400 ft.  I purposely am trying to stay above 9k ft for most of my miles now.  The altitude at 10,000 ft doesn't even phase me now and I feel like I'm floating up most climbs and have developed a good deep breathing pattern that I've never felt before but keeps my mind and body in synch over varied effort levels.  I moved here to live and train high just for Leadman.  Period. (in case you didn't see the punctuation after the word "Leadman").

It's not at the urgent level yet but I'm getting a little concerned about not spending as much time on the bike as I had hoped.  The weather just isn't cooperating at all.  Even though my first upcoming bike races (in 19 and 20 days, respectively) are for fun and training, I'd still like to hit them hard and not be a tentative little baby.  Hoping all the climbing I'm doing in the running will transfer over to the bike but still need to get on some technical single track to keep the skills up.  Plus, I simply miss mountain biking.

Five months of solid training in the books now and I'm ready for some race action.  It doesn't help seeing friends like Karl Meltzer and Scott Jaime (6:24 50 mile win) laying down some impressive racing last weekend.  Karl's 14:33 at Antelope 100 (first 50 miles in 6:36) both numbs my brain and sets fire to my blood to compete.  Watch the Speedgoat at Western States.

Inside Trail Commentary is being retired by Matt Copeland and me.  We are transferring all the content to our new site, Elevation Trail (elevationtrail.wordpress.com) and will be carrying on with our analysis, commentary, and love of the "sport" of ultra and trail running through podcasts.  We're recording our first one Wednesday and should have it live by Friday or sooner.  I'll also be chatting with a friend from Bentley University in Massachusetts later this week.  He has a research grant to study ultrarunning - everything from tangible things like demographics to more slippery concepts like the culture of ultrarunning.  His extensive survey garnered over 800 respondents(!) and has revealed some fascinating information on the sport, its practitioners, and how it's perceived from every angle.  We'll be introducing some of the findings and discussing what exactly IS ultrarunning.  Watch for that podcast to spring up early next week both here on footfeathers.com and on Elevation Trail.

Ok, Winter, pack your shit up and move out.  You're not welcome here, at all, anymore.

Comments

  1. The only thing more endearing to me than self-deprecation is self-defecation.

    I don't know what made me just think of that. Maybe seeing ScottJ and KarlM's times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure whether I should feel complimented or insulted. Knowing you, I'll go with insulted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! You made me defecate myself climbing Mt. Diablo, so that's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell, you tackled that climb with no problem and weren't even close to the shape you're in now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will your friend from Bently be interested in funding my demotivating effects of water theory with all my amazing charts?

    Great things ahead for you; how exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Ok, Winter, pack your shit up and move out. You're not welcome here, at all, anymore."

    Tell that to the 3' of snow in my yard. June...maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so looking forward to the 'cast. But I am guessing I better not play it around the fam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts