New Show Ideas and Running Stuff

I've put a lot of thought into the Elevation Trail shows and have gone over a bunch of ideas with Gary. I think we're on the right track but am definitely open to feedback.  I know the 8 listeners don't comment much on the shows anymore, which is fine.  But what that does is it takes any control of content and direction away from the listeners.  If anyone has suggestions or questions to cover in the shows, let me know by commenting here, on Elevation Trail's site, or on the Facebook page (LIKE that page while you're there and maybe invite your friends to like the sucker, too).

Anyway, I'm kicking off a completely new show with a cool guest next Tuesday at 1130am on ET. Tune in.

Our West Slope Runners group run last night went well - warm enough to run in short sleeves and great beer and food afterwards.  Our inaugural Monday night run gets under way this Monday (after the lovely time change this weekend) at Tabegauche trailhead at 530-545pm-ish.  Supposed to be 70 degrees Monday and the trails are perfecto.

I'm supposed to pace the 1:40 group tomorrow at the Dreamcatcher half marathon.  We'll see how that works out.  I told the RD my hammy is a little tight and I'm about 50/50 on doing the pacing; she was really cool about it and invited me to just run the race on my own at any effort I want.  I'll do another test run today on the course (rather be riding, now!).

In other news, I've been a staunch user of two spaces after periods in sentences.  I learned to type fast in 9th grade on a typewriter and, due to the equal spacing created by the mechanical nature of the typewriter, two spaces after a period helps to visually break up sentences.  Here, in our fancy computer world, the double space isn't needed.  Both MLA and Chicago styles say a single space is standard. I typically follow MLA style but double spacing after periods is ingrained into my subconscious and muscle memory.  So, if you're picky with styles and grammar, you may notice that I'll have a mixture of single and double spacing as I try to train my mind and hands to stop after one click of the space bar. This the type of dumb topics that fills in the cracks in my head between bigger issues and thoughts.

Oh, and the article in the Grand Junction Free Press hit stands today.  Soon to be collector's items.



Comments

  1. Also two spaces. Not even trying to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $100 informed me the other day that APA format now calls for one space after a period. I say it's bullshit and will continue with two spaces.

    Grammar is one of the few things even more boring than running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say that lots of young people will have no idea what you're talking about with regards to typing two spaces, then I realized that you'd have lost them at "typewriter." Enjoy your pacing duties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear you're feeling more solid about the podcast direction. I'm excited!

    I broke myself of the double space pretty abruptly over a year ago. It was surprisingly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, never knew the two space rule was obsolete was obsolete. Really at this point can anyone really tell? I will probably will never change.

    BTW, Emma is still taking great care of the buckle and I catch her eying it every once and a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe, focus on grammar...work up to worrying about the double space/period thing.
      Love ya!

      Delete
  6. One topic that has always interested me is an objective discussion of the relative quality of race experiences. I realize this is somewhat subjective. We hear quite a bit about a lot of races that are really popular, hard to get in to/qualify for, etc. But objectively speaking are these actually "better" events taking into account course, cost, hassle, etc? The problem is that most people have really only done a handful of the races that are out there. As such, the greatest race ever is usually the race they got to run (sometimes over and over) like Boston, Western States, JFK, etc. I would like to hear from someone that has done an incredible amount of different races (Like Karl Meltzer, Catra Corbett, Mike Wardian, etc.) which races and/or race experiences really stood out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. Good topic that I've thought a lot about. I've done races all over the country and agree that perception is skewed on "quality" and popularity. There are a few of the REALLY popular events that make me chuckle because they aren't very good in terms of my scale of what makes an event cool (flow, difficulty, views, manageable-sized field of runners, etc). Subjective, as you point out. Thankfully, very (VERY) few of the really popular race events hold any interest to me, so I don't have to worry about getting in them.

      Delete
  7. Faithful listener here. I enjoy all the shows and (boring answer ahead) especially the ones where (a) you interview other athletes and (b) you and Gary rant randomly. Basically if you're having fun it's fun to listen to.

    As an editor I can't officially approve of the double space but as an historian of language I say do whatever.

    Thanks for the show and the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starting a beer club. . . solid.

    Let's see: single or double IPA. . . gotta say i like the DIPA.
    Only natural for me to lean this way since I belong to the Massive Lager Association and DIPA happens to be our cup o tea.

    As for ideas for ET, let's just drink and turn on a mic and press record one of these daze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can i publish as "anonymous"? well, lessee, gettin' thru the numerical/alphabetical "robot test" etc. can be quite a hurdle. what/where/when/why is this "show" previously mentioned? also, i too, am an adherent of the " 2 - space." heh. did you know that briefly there was a hasher's club in the grand valley a while back? also i have been running races since, um, 1964 and usually keep opinions to myself but ya' never know what's going to be "great" with hindsight 20-20 of history. i think of 8 people running flagstaff in 1972 (and nowadaze you'd have to be an olympian to be in top 8!), 6 runners in the Mud in last summer's Desert 10k -- we all felt like champs! etc. and etc. (a lotta history in this little ol' valley (and in the minds of those in aforesaid valley).

    -- (w)reegardz, shreddlee Phreddlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment but I have to be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

      Delete
  10. Hello Tim, you and Robin killed it on KAFM w/Dave!!! Excellent Radio Show!! Thanx 4 reaching far beyond our little valley of trails. Thanx 4 promoting tourism. I was posting on the Western Slope Runners Blog but was denied because I am not a member?!?!? Well, I am ok w/that. My question is this: Can Shadow Boy & I be timed tonight at Edgewater?? Him & I would like to see what our 5k time might be. I also look forward to meeting up w/you & Robin. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Padre. Absolutely, you and Shadow Boy are totally welcome at the run tonight. See you there!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I turned off comments on the WSR site to everyone, not just you... :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts