You have a huge bulge

Figured the title would increase site traffic of the female gender.  Sorry to disappoint that the phrase came from the guy who was going to fix a flat tire I got this week.

4:45am driving to work as normal.  Car feels a little funny but at 4:45am and 2 degrees outside everything feels funny.  I only drive 2.3 miles to work (shameful, I know).  When I get to work, I glance at the rear tire, which is steaming from the heat-churning into the frigid air; heat created from driving on a flat tire, duh.  This is the third flat tire in as many months.  All three happened on the way to work, the 2.3 mi drive.  Never a problem driving to Utah and back, New Mexico and back, Leadville, Colorado Springs, Wyoming, etc, etc, etc.  No logic to it.

So, I waited until it warmed to a respectable 20 degrees and went out to take the wheel off and drag it up to a garage (they must think I drive off road weekly with all the flats).  The flats aren't punctures, they're the bead of the tire pulling away from the rim.  Got those fancy performance low profile tires on the Quattro, yo.  They look neato but are a true pain.


The normal repair (basically filling the tire up with air again and charging me $17) couldn't be completed because of the aforementioned bulge.  I called around and found a cool place in N. Boulder that had a set of low profile gnarly, studded, snow tires!  I can basically drive up the side of a frozen waterfall now.

With the scratchy throat I had earlier in the week turning into a full blown cold (cesspool of germs in the office, no doubt), I gave myself a break of two consecutive days off of running.  Not a bad thing, but frustrating.  The plan is to get out this afternoon for an hour run, then head down to Co Springs for the PP50k in the early am tomorrow.  It'll definitely be less fun being sick and congested but a good workout nonetheless.  I can't pass up a long run with great runners on Pikes Peak with temps in the 50s!

I just finished a solid block of training (base build) and the cold this week will count as my "reset" week, which leaves me four weeks of building towards the Cool race in CA on Feb 12, then a reset week, then four week build to Antelope 100 mi, then reset week, then Grand Canyon double crossing, then reset week, then four week build to Ice Age 50 mi, then reset week, then, well, it gets nutty after that...

Comments

  1. Despite the flat pattern, great stuff. Let me know what you think of my email. I should probably wait until after April for a 50k, yes?

    Why pay for a looooong run at this point, given my own battle of the bulge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt,
    I wrote you back with some run plans early this morning. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    tl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed your bulge before.
    2.3 miles is annoyingly close. Too far (for me) to walk, not far enough to run. If it was like 6-7 miles anything you did would be good, run or drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time reader, long time admirer. I was automatically redirected here after clicking on a Chivalry site called www.canipushyourstoolin.com
    Call me if you get another flat - I'll just blow it back up for you, no charge.
    Have fun on Longs Ranch this weekend - there'll be plenty of snow between where the grade goes back to normal and Barr Trail with a great peak at the summit of Pikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No doubt. It would take 35 mins to walk, so leave the house at 415am (no thanks). I plan to start riding a junk bike there soon. Feel like a schmuck for driving that short a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick,
    Gross. Appropriate perhaps for tomorrow when men will be chasing one another around in the woods in hopes of dominating the ponderous posterior.
    Butt I digest...all over my shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts