And The Beat Goes On (even with a broken body)

Finished up week two with a broken body - no worse for wear (sort of).

I'll back up to the accident so we're all caught up, including myself.

A couple Thursdays ago I was actually getting mentally tuned-in to train hard for upcoming events. I was thinking about getting registered for some dirt bike enduros along with some epic (stupid word that I use only because it's immediately recognizable as something really hard and cool) mountain bike racing. First off would be a warm up of Rumble at 18rd, a roughly 20 mile fast race and then 18 Hours of Fruita, in which I was shooting for a podium finish with 185+ miles (which turned out would've won the Men's Solo race...). Then there were some highly focused races like the two Growlers (half and full) in Gunnison, CO later in May.

So, Thursday morning I headed out for an easy trail ride behind my house, planning to ride again with a group later that day. Things were clicking and I was in a groove with an abundance of energy and power and rare skill, thinking, "Man, I'm 10x better technically than I was this time last year."

With that mindset and a solid hour of riding in, I decided to hit a drop off I rode for the first time the week before. Only this time I decided to triple my speed and launch off it. I've never been one to hoard much concern for my physical wellbeing (ask my mother how many times we went to the emergency room while I was growing up). So, I hit the drop off at roughly 15-18mph (according to my gps), caught the left end of my handlebar in mid air on a tree branch, which promptly whipped me to the cement-like packed dirt and rocks below. I landed first on my shoulder, emitting a loud crack and then crunch (nice onomatopoeia), then my head whip-lashed, snapping to the ground, knocking me half unconscious and leaving my helmet caved in with a hole in the outer shell and cracked in half.

In the rush of pain and shock, I knew my collarbone was crushed and felt certain my ribs, sternum, scapula, and general shoulder area were probably pretty messed up, too. I got to my feet, moved my bike and stood bent over with blood rushing down my shorts and leg. I reached up with my left hand and touched the protruding bone. Even after feeling it, I wasn't certain it was still under the skin since it was jagged and sticking up about 2". My GPS says I only stayed stationary for 7 minutes but it felt like a half hour. I was alone without my phone and didn't really know what I'd do to get out of there if I could call for help anyway - ATVs? Helicopter? No thanks. So, I decided the best thing would be to head in a general downhill direction towards Monument Rd and the main parking lot and then ride the road back to my house. I can't really explain how I did it but I did. It was a gnarly 5 mile trip.

Once home, I texted my friend, Robin, and asked whether she was busy and could run me to the emergency room. She kindly did. I lived.

The first week was some of the most intense pain I've endured (and, as mentioned before, I've broken MANY bones, bone surgery, and had other nasty injuries). The deep bruising from my sternum around my arm, shoulder and back would've made Timothy Leary proud. Lots of damage.

I took 5 days after the accident completely off and then started going for 4 mile walks with short jogging mixed in, as pain thresholds would allow. I also got some work done on me by Travis Reed, which helped. Then I ran for an hour non-stop and then with my buddy, Tan, who was visiting from San Fran for an awesome week, I mountain biked for the first time since the crash for 90 mins. Then, just two weeks after the accident (two days ago), I rode 30 miles at the 18 Hours of Fruita.

I can't say that forcing myself to get out and do these things is smart. It's painful, really. But I feel that aside from needing it mentally, I'm healing faster with the activity, blood flow, etc. After a heavy week (relatively) of cardio activity, I'm starting a gym routine daily to get in work on the legs, core, and (slowly) arm and shoulder. The goal is to be able to at least ride the Half Growler and Full Growler MTB races 19 days from now and then move into some organized dirt bike enduro stuff.

I've pulled out of any long running races: Hardrock, Speedgoat, etc. but plan to be back onto them by late August. In the meantime, I've opened up a lot more time in my weekly life and plan to focus on coaching and race management. So, if you're looking for a coach who's been around the block a few times and can help you reach just about any goal you have, give me a call. I don't sugarcoat things and I'm not a drill sergeant, but I know my shit and know how to get it done.

Thanks to friends and strangers who've reached out and offered support and comfort. It helps a lot and I appreciate it.
Run up the Ribbon trail and back with Tan.



Comments

  1. Bummed to hear you won't be in HR, as I know what that means to u you, but it clearly reflects the level of respect you have in knowing what it takes to be prepared for that. Quick healing bud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are tough! May the healing gods rain their powers down on you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts