Freedom

Gee, nearly three weeks have zipped by since I bothered typing out anything on this site and haven't really spent any time reading other blogs. The detachment has been nice; it allows me to be less self-aware, since I'm not publicly writing about daily activities or comparing myself to the other 5,000 active folks in my virtual world. I'm just sort of going through life as I create it each day with no typical plan.

Not sure the collarbone is supposed to look like this but as long as the arm works...
Five weeks since the crash and I've regained most of my range of motion. As I mentioned in my last post, I took five days off after the accident, mostly because I almost literally couldn't move due to the pain (I've never encountered that sort of pain before - that shit hurt!). The damage around my ribs, chest, and back (and obvious shoulder) was substantial. Getting back to activity was the only way I could deal with it and yet I was torn between wondering whether I was being dumb for pushing it or reasonable for getting the blood flowing (I've read a lot about the injuries and have found the majority say activity is good - "if it hurts, don't do it", which I took to mean, "if it hurts more than it already does, then don't do it"). Regardless, getting outside in the beautiful weather and going to the gym to see other humans and throw weights around has kept me sane at least. I'm also determined to get back to some level of strength. Before I took up running in 2002, I could bench 220+lbs and leg press a compact car. I miss those days and have grown bored of solely being a skinny, weak runner. So, I developed a workout routine to regain the balanced strength I've run away from over the last 12 years.

Gyms haven't changed since my last visits over a decade ago. Many guys with giant arms and chests teetering around on legs that look more suited to a homeless heroin addict. While I'm going through my workout, I try to imagine what these guys are thinking. The imbalance and obvious weakness is startling. But then it occurs to me that most runners are similar. Being able to run for 30+ miles is substantially impressive. But the imbalance and weaknesses are just as stark as the top-heavy peg-legged gym dwellers. I've obviously been aware of this as my strength waned while my running took precedence but turned a blind eye to it as the residuals of running and racing bolstered the ego. Much, as I assume, is the same process going on in the iron pumping guys' minds. So, who am I to judge? All I can do is appreciate the fact that I've acknowledged this fact and am getting back to a balance. No more running weakling with spider arms and no beefy chest with Amy Winehouse legs.

All this crap became apparent when I started riding a dirt bike. I've owned and ridden road motorcycles off and on since I was 19 but never owned a dirt bike. My last bike, a Ducati Monster S4R, weighed around 400 lbs, however, I didn't have to heft that weight around much - just mostly sat on it and went fast over somewhat smooth roads (except when I lived in CA - those highways are mangled and overcrowded). So, even though this current bike, a KTM 450 EXC is only 260 lbs, it's like wrestling a bear when I'm on technical, rutted trails. I was sore all over for two days after a good ride last month (before the mtb crash). I'm a little hesitant on it now and worried my recovering arm will be ripped out of the socket, hence, the desire to build some semblance of strength.

Riding in the north desert along the book cliffs last week.
Dropping out of all my scheduled races was depressing but the smart thing to do. I did sneak down to Gunnison last weekend with my friend, Robin, for the Sage Burner 25k (really about 17 miles). It was basically a shit show with the wheels coming off around mile 7. I plodded my way to a 2:32 and 14th place finish. But it was pretty awesome being out on the Hartman Rocks trails I love so much. Unfortunately, I'm missing both the Growler MTB races this weekend. I finally decided to skip them - it would've been too much opportunity to face plant and re-break the bone, not to mention my pathetic athletic shape currently. The freedom of having zero races on the horizon is refreshing. I'll start poking around some race calendars, both running and mtb-ing, this week and maybe get something on the schedule to work towards. Gary and I discuss the topic of injury, schedules, and other stuff on the Elevation Trail show we did this week.

Nearly three months since Cooper joined the family and it's like we were all meant to be together. Funny, amazing little dog.



Comments

  1. I am no doctor but you might want to put a band-aid on that collarbone or something.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts