At the Edge of the Cliff

Informed late last night that I am number 1 on the wait list for Hardrock now.  I've also employed a pacer who's experienced on that course.  I know they don't mark the course much at all and getting lost is part of the race but I'd like to minimize that as much as possible, especially in the later stages after going for 21 hours.  Picking up my pacer at mile 72 in Telluride.
Talk about over thinking something, for the last week I've been pondering the use of walking sticks at HR.  I've asked three veterans of HR and received partly similar and partly different advice.  "It definitely helps, if you have experience with them."  "Don't bother.  Just one more thing to worry about."  "Karl set a huge PR using them.  He feels like it's cheating."

The climbs during the whole race (EVERY MILE) are enough to warrant the use of sticks but it's the climbs after Ouray (mile 56) that have me lying in bed saucer-eyed at 2am.  One five-time finisher friend told me, "Virginius Pass is heinous."  He suggests getting a tent stake to assist in clawing my way up the climb.
Virginius Pass (up further to the left).  Photo: Scott Jaime

Comments

  1. This is great news Tim! Poles will be your best friend, yeah it may be cheating as Karl says but it beats a mule. Remember to wear bike gloves if you use the poles. I look forward to hearing about your adventure in the San Juans when you get back.

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim - I was wishing I had poles at the SJS50 two weeks ago. During the last climb, I needed somewhere for my hands to go and the knees/hips just didn't cut it. I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine how anyone could do Hardrock's unending climbing without them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi93ivFcvy0

    Just remember to call it 'Tell yuh ryde'.

    And 'Virgin U ous'.

    'This shit sucks'. LOL.

    Use the poles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, get some walking poles and get some sleep! Very excited for you and wish I could be there to crew.

    Brett, I remember hearing a story that the old train conductors (or something) used to announce "To hell you ride" before departure to Telluride.

    By the end that shit will suck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At SJS50 in 2010 after I stopped vomiting on the side of Vickers, I grabbed some random tree branch that was a perfect walking stick, and I swear I was able to walk twice as fast. (Which probably meant 30 minute miles at that point...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talked to your pacer last night actually - told him to ride you like a horse when he hopped in ;-) I would be out trying the poles this weekend before you decide to use them. Or make sure you get some of those collapsible jobs that fold up real nice... Might as well face it pal, you're in the big show - good luck!!!

    BTW, did we miss a Pippit Birthday Celebration?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME. This is going to happen!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts