San Diego 100 pre-report

Really weird, yet satisfying day for me at the San Diego 100.
I made a couple of bad choices on two long,hot sections and ended up walking 15 miles in nearly 5 hours, finally staggering into the sunrise aid station at mile 51. I had lost 15 lbs since the start, pale with chills and not able to answer easy questions. My race was over in my mind but after an hour at the aid station getting expert attention and taking in huge amount of fluids and electrolytes, I was able to shuffle around with my legs convulsing and cramping still but at least I could stand and move. Finally, I made my way out of there and back out onto the sadistic course at 6:30pm. Things improved greatly and I was motoring, finishing in 22:46 and 15th overall. Obviously not matching the original plan but, as I mentioned, a completely satisfying experience.

More details coming, including the hospitality of my friend Matt and his family in San Diego, the superiorty and difficulty of the SD100 event, and developments of the race itself.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a tough day, but way to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to pull out of the hurt locker Tim - nice turn around in that second half!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your legs looked flawless at Penny Pines 2. Bravo on your pulling the mind and body together! ~ Mer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing recovery Tim! I will eagerly await the full report.

    Get some rest and hydrate like mad.

    dy

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY ****. 33 out 160 finished? That is INSANE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome man, 15th place after delirium! I'd have curled up hugging my teddy bear.

    I followed #SD100 on Twitter (again like WS100, frustratingly little info) and it seemed like it was hot and people were just getting hammered. Really impressive you were able to pull through.

    And... just where exactly did you find 15 extra pounds? Yikes.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! Amazing recovery but still fantastic to push to the end after such difficulty. Really great run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job powering through Tim!!

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not able to answer easy questions. Well maybe they need to stop asking things that might not be quite so easy after all:
    * "Tell me 1 thing you enjoyed about the last hour of this race."
    * "What made you register for this race?"
    * "Why do you put yourself through this type of event?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Tim. Glad to hear you rallied the troops to get er done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts