Grand Mesa 100 Quick Recap

Already a small race, only 43% of the starters finished. I took the lead for good at mile 27 and nabbed the win in 25:06. At mile 80 I was still comfortably on pace for a sub 22 hour finish but fell victim to either cattle or vandals knocking down nearly every course marker after the mile 80 aid station. There really was no trail, so without the markers it was just vast miles of open land, much of which I wandered around in circles for an hour and a half before picking up the course again and grinding out the rest uneventfully. Very challenging course.

Phil, Rick, and the other organizers and volunteers did a superb job always smiling and making the whole time fun.

So, that's three tough 100s in 6 weeks. I think I'm getting comfortable with the 100 mile distance (even though they are still so painful).

Full report to come...

Comments

  1. Been reading your blog for a while. Congrats on 3 100s in such a short time. Mentally I could not do that. They hurt too much!

    -Hone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoked to see you 'getting comfortable' with the 100s. On a MUCH smaller scale, that's the approach I've been leaning towards this year. Just get out and do it, then repeat. Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, that's awesome. You're getting some serious 100 experience this summer!

    I'd like to put a video cam on those ribbons and actually see what happens to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third time is a charm it seems. A win! I still want to see the necklace of belt buckles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - if all comments are going to have to be approved, why have the verification word?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!
    GZ word verification keeps me from having to monitor spam/robot comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unbelievable, congratulations! Comfortable with the 100 mile distance...I wish I could get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Tim! You're doing a great job of picking HARD 100s. You need to find that easy 100 (next year) and let it rip.

    Looking forward to running with you for 15-20 seconds at Leadville.

    d.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy smokes Tim. Seriously impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again. Trust me, I'm not saying they're easy, just that I'm beginning to understand a good approach to endure them.
    Darren: I'm hoping Leadville will be that fast (relatively) 100 for me that you're talking about. I'm pretty excited to see you run well there too.

    Dylan. You're my pick to win at Leadville. Based on your San Diego time, I think you should set your splits up for a 16:30 finish. Get after it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's alota miles Tim, great stuff, and an extra 3 hours tacked onis alot! Glad you got back on course an avoided a nightmare.
    Some of the spam I get is pretty hot ;-)
    Rick Merriman

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on what looks like a very gnarly course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on getting it done again! Look forward to the rest of your report.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts