Running and Other Self-Absorbed Stuff

One minute it seems I've been running regularly and am in decent shape.  The next minute I feel like I'm barely running at all.  I've gotten into this weird routine over the last four weeks since WTC 50k where my milage has been low overall but I've done some hard workouts when I do run.  I think (I don't keep track of my runs) my longest effort has been the half marathons I ran, so, with warm up and cool down, that's about 15 miles.  To break out of the physical and largely mental funk, I headed out yesterday with hills on the mind.  I purposely left with no water or calories; sort of a cleansing run.  I did wear the Garmin, since I had no real course in mind and didn't want to end up (too) lost.  It was exactly what I needed.  20 miles, 4,500+ ft climb, sunshine, shirtless, solo.  I held a good pace for the first 11 miles (7:50/mi), then a combination of a stronger dose of climbs and slight bonking slowed the progress substantially, ending with an 8:49 avg, which never really concerned me and I relished the slow grind up the steeper sections, regardless of how slowly I was moving.

Boulder Sunrise Century last summer.
I'd like to get the bike out at some point.  Stahler and I mention dusting off our bikes nearly every day, but that's about as far as that conversation goes.  Maybe today?

One more 50k, my fourth so far this year, is in 12 days.  Then Miwok 100k 14 days after that, all to hopefully springboard me into the meat and meaningful races of the season.  Miwok is not being overlooked at all.  It's one of a very few events where I need redemption and plan to run like it's my last race.

Stahler and I at American River 50
In other news, we (Inside Trail) were fortunate enough to be graciously invited by Julie Fingar to have a tent up at the finish line festival at American River 50 over the weekend.  It was a huge success and a lot of fun.  I paced a friend for the last 12 miles to a 7:11 finish and then played the animated carnival worker role at the tent, meeting and greeting the 700 or so people who wandered (or hobbled) around after their run.  The other half of Inside Trail, Tim Stahler, took a bunch of photos, which may be viewed on our Facebook page.

My first focus race of the year (San Diego 100) is in just over 8 weeks.  More long training runs needed...
My 2011 San Diego 100 buckle and goodies.

Comments

  1. Did you get the old road bike back?? Good luck with the upcoming race prep Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, sadly. I have another one now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts