Hills, Magic Sun, and New FM Show on ET.

New FM Show on Elevation Trail today...

Funny how the weather has a definite effect on me. A few days ago I had to reluctantly drag myself out the door to do any half hearted training and now that it's warm and sunny all I want to do is ride and run. The week recovery from last week's race in Fruita turned out ok. It started off slowly with the previously mentioned lack of desire to even go outside but then I realized I don't have much more time to get tuned up for Leadman (and the races in Gunnison in 2 weeks), so I gave myself a kick in the ass (turns out I'm my own best coach, since I can be fairly honest and objective with what I'm doing for training - though I still wouldn't mind checking out a good mountain bike coach...).  Saturday was a 3 hour run with good climb done in a fully fasted state (didn't eat for 20+ hrs beforehand) and without water.  Not fun after a couple hours but serves some good purpose.

Dory Hill Rd was the very first ride I did when I moved here and hadn't been on it in quite a while, due to snow mainly. So, after watching an embarrassing amount of World Cup MTB racing on Youtube, I popped the set of training wheels on the bike, donned my new Scott MTB shoes to try out and headed over to Dory Hill via the shitty town of Black Hawk. I drop down from my shack (8,625 ft) to Black Hawk at 8,000 then start the climb to 9,350 ft to the top of Dory Hill. Do some repeats there and you have some excellent training for the Columbine climb in the Leadville MTB 100 miler.

Oh, and received this last night as part of a long email from an athlete I created a training plan for to run his first 50 miler, the Quicksilver 50 - made my day!

"I would like to thank you sincerely for developing the training plan for me. It did get me to where I wanted to go and opened my eyes quite a bit about structured training. 

Looking back now, because I wasn't a serious runner, I definitely had a lofty goal by attempting a 50 mile run. I don't believe I could've done it without your training plan or at least as comfortably anyway."
-Phil B.  

Comments

  1. it looks like you getting a pretty sweet mullet! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair. I need to order a trucker hat. Will you be lurking at Western States this year resting before Leadville?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts