Are 100 Mile Races Unhealthy? - New Podcast at Elevation Trail

New podcast up at Elevation Trail and the newest edition of the FM Show with Footfeathers Tim Long and Matt Copeland. Today I recap my Zion 100 mile race that took place over the weekend, which leads us to the discussion of whether 100s can really be competitive or are they simply a challenge of survival to reach the finish line as the main goal? Also, we talk about the physical and possible mental damage racing 100 milers can cause. Matt asks me about my race report on my site (www.footfeathers.com) and wonders whether I'm serious about giving up 100s.

Please leave a comment with your opinion or question and we'll address it in our next show. Thanks for listening!

http://elevationtrail.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/fm-show-are-100-milers-competitive-or-unhealthy/

Comments

  1. Are you familiar with Catra something-or-other, aka Dirt Diva? I read her blog from time to time, and she seems completely over the top with her running, even by ultra standards...if you did an interview with her, I'd definitely listen. I just checked her blog (http://trailgirl.blogspot.com/) to see if she did Zion, but she did the Umstead 100 a couple of weeks ago and said "This was #3 , 100 miler of the year and my 90th 100 mile finish."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason,
    Yep, I'm familiar with her and she is definitely a prolific 100 mile finisher. I think the point we are trying to make spotlights more of the competitive end of the field where speeds + the distance begin to cause the damage. I know several people who can complete many 100s in short time frames but when you start moving into the sub 13 min pace in mountainous 100s the physical damage seems to increase. Walking pace leaves you in decent shape (e.g. my 2011 Hardrock). Racing effort over the distance is the factor in the damage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts