Just a Finish: Zion 100 Mile

6 hours after finishing Zion.  I think I was out cold after typing two wordzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I'm typically fairly verbose when it comes to race reports and may opt to write more at some point.  Frankly, I'm luke warm with my run at the Zion 100.  I'm ok with a finish but really just felt out of it after the first 30 miles.  I essentially walked the last 25 miles.  My left knee was a mess (swollen on the side now the size of a grapefruit) and my left achilles was fairly painful.  I'm guessing that when my left ITB started firing up around mile 20 I altered my foot strike (toe turned in a bit) to alleviate the pain and that probably caused the other maladies throughout the run.  No excuses, everyone hurts in these things.  The final 17 miles were probably some of the worse miles I've spent in a race (aside from the 2011 Hardrock).  The pain in my knee(s) was so intense going down the paved 2,000 ft drop at mile 95 that I was grinding my teeth and audibly swearing through my clenched jaw.  I was popping ibuprofen like tic tacs and they finally caught up to me in the form of a very sour stomach, so I was unable to take in calories (other than a half pbnj sandwich) for the last 10 hours.  A guy named Jim had cancer and relapsed recently.  He went to Pine to Palm with us in September to crew and spectate and looked healthy.  He relapsed and was in the kind of rough shape that you don't come back from.  He was alive when I started the race Friday morning and I said his name out loud and thanked him for his strength and courage throughout the race.  I probably would've dropped from the race if not for him.  He passed away Friday while I was running and though we weren't close friends, he meant a lot to people I care about, so I cared about him too.

Though I'm very unhappy with my result, I'm pleased with the finish.  I can honestly say that I pushed as hard as I could right to the end.

Race Director, Matt Gunn truly cares about the races he organizes and it shows.  There are definite changes that could take place and I'm sure he'll tweak the process as he learns.  Overall, he does a tremendous job with the race.

Big thanks to Jill for coming with me and diligently crewing me throughout the long day (and then driving 6 hours to Grand Junction the second after I finished).  I deeply appreciate all her hard work over the weekend!

Thank you to Mary and Dennis for taking good care of Pippit and their kind friendship.  I value you both very much.
Dennis and Mary
Gear used (I was like Janet Jackson with the wardrobe changes - probably just looking for some small amount of comfort through change):
Shirts: GoLite, Patagonia, Asics
Shorts: Pearl Izumi Elite
Hat: Sugoi
Shades: photochromatic Rudy Projects
Shoes: La Sportiva C-Lite 2.0, Nike Lunarglide, old Hokas
Socks: Wright Socks, then compression socks later
Bottles: Amphipod
Race vest: Nathan
Fuel: VFuel (then stomach went bad with so much ibuprofen, so nothing over last 10 hours)

Damage:
Sharp strain in left quad
Left knee pain and swelling
Left Achilles strained
Left ITB pain
Both ankles, feet, knees swollen
Entire big toenail detached after smashing it into edge of slickrock
Lips cracked and bleeding from sun/wind
Digestive system out of whack
Left hip/glute sore
Nose raw and bleeding
Slight depression and inability to think clearly

I don't fall into the category of people who swear they'll never do another 100 and then soften their view over time.  I typically think fondly about my next 100 at mile 80 of my current one.  Not this time.  I didn't enjoy myself at any point and just sort of was going through the motions.  Seeing the effects on my body today reinforces my ongoing belief that running 100s is not healthy.  I have the Leadville 100 to get done but after that I'm not certain I'll ever run the distance again.

Hoping the warmer spring weather continues (considering it's nearly May), so I can continue my training.  Next up in two weeks: 18 Hours of Fruita MTB Race.  I'll be riding that one hard to make up for my shitty performance at Zion.


Comments

  1. Congratulations on your finish. It was wonderful to meet you out on the guacamole loop. I struggled during those last 17 miles as well (though I must admit I was glad to have tackled that last climb in the dark, as it made those steep drop offs seem a little less intimidating). Recover strong, and best of luck at your next event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you did good. Keeping at it when it's brutal and bleak is something you've taught me about any distance; it's inspiring. Thanks for the kind words for Jim. Recover well and re-build to get it to Leadville. We've got more 100s to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Says something that you went "through the motions" and still finished. It is 100 after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to tough it out, Tim. Take good care of that knee! I'm saddened by the news of Jim's passing. I didn't know him but it sounds like he was a hell of good guy who made an impact on others' lives. Rest up and get after it!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish on a tough race & good seeing you in GJ yesterday Tim! It was also great meeting Dennis & Mary - did you hear how they did at Desert RATS today? Good picture there on the sofa - at least you weren't drooling on yourself ;-) Recover well so you're ready for those laps at Fruita!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a tough finish. Sounds like you really had to dig deep. Rest well Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you told me about Jim before the race, I thought to myself I didn't know how you'd pull this thing off; you had to be so much more mentally tough than I was (that's not all that difficult :)). I've lost a couple people close to me...it's one thing to run in honor of someone's memory whose been gone awhile and feel energized by their spirit, but it's a whole different game when relapse, then loss, is still so fresh - the ability to function is minimal, at best. I know how difficult this race was for you, not only the physical demands of this crazy, ruthless course, but additionally, the mental anguish you were dealing with (I kick myself for not remembering to give you your iPod to help distract your thoughts). With all those hits thrown at you, I can't even express in words how impressed I am you finished - and finished extremely well. I know you're not pleased with your overall performance and finish, but seeing first-hand all the obstacles you endured to get through to the end (and the incessant pain after), I think you did fantastic and I'm very proud of your race (I'm all choked up just writing this :)). Congratulations, you did it; look at that sticker on your laptop with pride!

    Thanks for allowing me to be part of your adventure ... please rest up so you can recover quickly and kick some Fruita and Leadville ass. Beer is good carb recovery aid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, hard fought finish Tim! I know that feeling of shot ITs and, almost literally, crawling to the finish. I'm pretty certain the beauty of the San Juan's will catch your attention again and a certain 100 will call your name (and you'll answer).

    We run for Jim.

    d.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, Tim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim, after Hardrock last year (drop at Ouray) I swore never again and this time I meant it!
    Deb convinced me to enter the lottery, what can it hurt? I got in and immediately began thinking I have 6 months to decide....how much you wanna bet I'll be at the rock at 6am on July 12th ;-)
    Good luck in the bike race and at Leadville.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your finish, it was good to meet you before the race.

    I never felt like I was defying death on Flying Monkey....but then again, I'm slow enough that I got to do most of it with a little light from our second sunrise of the race.

    I'm glad to hear you describe the course as "sadistic". The course kicked my butt and was definitely harder than last year, but I've only done a few 100s so I don't have much to compare it to. It's good to have someone with more experience verify how tough the race was.

    Congrats on your crazy fast finish - from a crazy slow 31 hour finisher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts