Low Frequency Motivation - High Frequency Future

One week exactly since finishing Zion, I've heeded the sound advice from Jeff Browning and Rod Bien (two fast guys I highly respect) both of whom told me after San Diego 100 last year that you take a minimum of one week off completely from running.  I didn't really have much choice since the 100 beat me up pretty good; I still feel puffy, dull, and overall kinda gross.  I took four days off from any activity, then got out for 1:45 ride on Thursday and again Friday, both days with ~3,200 ft climb.  Felt good to be out and active but still not much snap or power.  Going out for a run today, which will hopefully shake off the lingering residue of grossness from the 100.  Fortunately, I can drop the pejorative comments about Mother Nature (she was the "ulcer faced whore" for much of April), as the weather has snapped into spring - short sleeve runs, sitting outside my little shack drinking a beer this afternoon, listening to NPR weekend shows that I enjoy, watching the mountains turn greener by the minute, pretty much what I've been dreaming of since moving back here in January.

MTB Rumble race two weeks ago in Fruita.  Went old school with my Timex jersey (which seems to fit much baggier than it did in 2006).
Straightaway, finishing up lap 1 at the Rumble.
After the lung popping anaerobic fest MTB race a couple weeks ago, I'm stoked to be heading back to Fruita this week for the 18 Hours of Fruita MTB endurance race for some more relaxed (long) steady racing.  The dude who won the overall solo title last year rode ~200 miles!  Shazam!  That's like racing two pretty fast Leadville 100 MTB races nonstop.  I'll write up more of a preview to that race later this week (with the intent to calm my mind and stem the energy wasting nervous excitement).  It's really a pretty interesting race, starting Friday night at midnight and finishing 6pm Saturday.  Will be nice to get the night riding out of the way while awake and fresh.

Next running race isn't until May 27th - the Sage Burner 50k (holy crap that's just 4 weeks!).  Of course, I had to make it more interesting by registering for the Half Growler 32 mi MTB race Saturday, the Full Growler 64 mi MTB race Sunday, and then the Sage Burner 50k on Monday.  If I live through those three days, Leadman will seem like a girl scout bake sale 5k fundraiser in comparison.

Check out the Elevation Trail trucker hats.  If you enjoy the podcast shows, show your support (and look cool as hell) by purchasing one.  There are VERY few of them, like you could count them all on your fingers and toes, so they won't last long.

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about the 24-hr race. My longest mtb race is 12...well, 18 is you count Dirty Kanza, but that's just bc I'm slow. The 24 hr races intrigue me, but there aren't any that are reasonably local, so I'll have to live vicariously through blogs for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    This one coming up this week is 18hrs (hence the clever name, "18 hrs of fruita" :-)
    Heck, 24 is only 6 hrs more than 18, so just put on an extra layer of cycling shorts, keep eating, and you'd be done in no time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts